About Matt Potempa
"Go to guy” was the most common description used for Potempa. Some local counsel familiar with Potempa’s work said they often rely on the young lawyer’s expertise in difficult matters. That alone speaks volumes about the lawyer’s ability and attitude.
~Nashville Post, 2012
Education, Licensure and Accreditations:
- University of Memphis, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, 2003
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Juris Doctor, 2006
- Recipient, Bowen Academic Scholarship
- Honor Council Justice
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Edinburgh Law School - Edinburgh, Scotland
- 2004 & 2005 Summer Study Abroad
- Emphasis on International Comparative Law
- University College Dublin School of Law - Dublin, Ireland
- 2004 & 2005 Summer Study Abroad
- Emphasis on European Union and International Law
- Licensed to practice in all courts of the state of Tennessee
- US District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- United States Department of Veterans Affairs, Accredited Attorney
Professional Leadership and Awards:
- Harry Phillips American Inn of Court
- Member, 2011-2013
- Executive Committee, 2011-2013
- American Bar Association
- 2009-2011 Judicial Division Council Member
- 2009-2011 Young Lawyers Division District Representative
(Tennessee and Kentucky) Responsible for coordinating pro-bono legal services
with FEMA in response to federally-declared disasters
- 2008-2010 International Law Section, Lawyers Lifestyle Taskforce Advisory
- 2010 National Outstanding Young Lawyer Nominee
- 2011-2012 National Public Service Project Coordinator:
-Project Salute: Young Lawyers Serving Veterans
- 2011-2012 Nashville Conference Host Committee Chair
- Summer 2011, Star of the Quarter Award
- Spring 2012, Star of the Quarter Award
- Tennessee Bar Association
- 2008-2010 Continuing Legal Education Board Member
- 2009-2010 Transitional Legal Education Co-Chair
- Young Lawyers Division Board Member
- 2007-2008 Continuing Legal Education, Middle Tennessee Chair
- June 2008 President's Special Recognition Award
- 2008-2009 Tennessee Continuing Legal Education Chair
- 2009-2010 Representative to American Bar Association
- 2009-2010 Disaster Legal Services Committee Member
- January 2008, January 2009, June 2010, June 2011 and June 2012–
Star of the Quarter Award
- Nashville Bar Association
- 2012-1023 Young Lawyers Division Executive Board, Director of Public Service
- Elected to NBA Board of Directors for 2012-2015 Term
- 2008-2010 Young Lawyers Division Board Member
- Community Outreach Co-Chair
- 2009-2010 Non-Profit Showcase Founder (in conjunction with Young Leaders
Council and Center for Nonprofit Management)
- 2010-2011 Lawyers Care Committee, Co-Chair
- 2010-2011 Modest Means Panel Member
- 2010 Solo/Small Firm Committee, Founder and Co-Chair
- 2010 Disaster Legal Services Coordinator in response to May floods
- 2010 Young Lawyers Division Leadership Award
- 2010 President's Award for Bar-at-Large
- Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce: 2010, 2011 and 2012 Nashville Emerging Leader
Awards Finalist in Legal Services Category
- Nashville Post, January 2012 named one of twenty one "Law Leaders Rising"
- Phoenix Club of Nashville
- 2009 Equinox Ball Chair
- 2009-2010 Board Member, At-Large
- 2010-2011 Board Member VP of Publicity
- Nashville's First Annual Barbeque and Music Festival (held August 2009 benefiting
Vanderbilt Children's Hospitals and Shriners Hospitals)
- Tennessee Youth Court - in conjunction with the Tennessee Bar Association
- Young Leaders Council – Member Class 56, Spring 2011
- Belcourt Theater
Presentations and Publications:
- Author: Misconceptions in the Generation Gap: The Times They are a' Changin', Tennessee Young Lawyer, Volume 3, Issue 4, Summer 2008.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Tenn Bar U Webcast CLE Presentation: "Introduction to Social Networking for Lawyers", August 2009.
- LexisNexis, CLE Presentation: "Ethical Concerns of Social Networking for Lawyers", May 2010.
- Tennessee Bar Association, Leadership Law, CLE Presentation: "Ethics of Social Networking for Lawyers", May 2010.
- Author: "Protect Your Freedom and Fortune by Executing a Durable Power of Attorney", Forward Focus, Spring 2010.
- American Bar Association/Federal Emergency Management Association Annual Training, Chicago, IL, "When Disaster Strikes: Mobilizing Disaster Legal Services", June 2011.
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: Transitional Legal Education for New Bar Admittees: Beginning and Ending the Lawyer/Client Relationship, June 2011, November 2011, June 2012 and November 2012.
- Tennessee Bar Association, General Practice Bootcamp, CLE Presentation: "Opportunity for New Business: Maintaining a Steady Stream of New Clients", August 2011.
- American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, National Teleconference Presentation: "Integrating Pro Bono Into Your Practice", September 2011.
- Tennessee Attorneys Memo, CLE Presentation: "Social Networking for Lawyers: Proceed With Caution", November 2011
- Tennessee Bar Association, CLE Presentation: "Law Practice Succession for Small Firms or Solo Practitioners", September 2012